Parents from our youth running groups often ask how they can start running. The answer is simple - just put on your shoes and go! Of couse that's easier said than done. As parents, we spend so much time taking care of our family that we don't always leave time for ourselves. It's easy to make a New Years resolution to "walk more" or "get in shape", but if we don't change our habits and create time for ourselves, we are doomed to settle back into our old routines and give up before we ever get going.
This is where MPower comes in. We'll help you tackle the top five reasons that people stuggle to reach their fitness goals.
GOAL TRACKING GROUP
1. Set a running/walking goal for 2016. Walk 1 mile per week? Run 1000+ miles before the end of the year? You decide what you want to achieve, and MPower will help you get there!
2. Your goal will NOT be made public. But your "% of goal completed" will be visible to all to inspire the rest of the group (and you'll be able to see the progress of others too when you need motivation!). But this is not a competition, and your individual details will stay password–protected on our dashboard so that only you will see your actual goal and the steps you are taking to achieve it. In addition, we will celebrate your milestones and personal bests as a group, but your times/ distances will still be kept private.
3. MPower will give you tips, ideas and encouragement to help you stay on track or get you going again if you get derailed.
4. Stay motivated! Join our Facebook group to encourage each other and schedule partner run/walks.
5. Try races! For those of you who enjoy road races, we will keep you up-to-date on local races. If you have never walked/run a race in your life but think you might want to give it a try, check out our training plans to get you started. Remember: plenty of people walk these races too!
Ready to get started? Set your goal and invite your friends to join! Test
Most beginner 5K training programs are 6-10 weeks long. This is plenty of time to go from doing nothing at all to running your first 5K. If you start training soon, you can join us at the O'Hartford 5K on Sunday, March 20, 2016.
Set a goal and track your progress in our goal tracking dashboard. Whether you walk or run, race or do laps at the Mall, you can participate in this group! Stay motivated and always strive for your personal best!